Sunday, September 6, 2009

Untrue Accusations in the Life of the Mac-Attack

"Mark!!!"

My sister Tara was in the middle of her weekly freak-out when I got back from Melinda's house.

I walked up to Mark, my future brother-in-law, to find out what was going on this time.

"What's up?"
"It's the wedding planner. She quit."
"Why did she quit?"
"Because Tara made her quit."

I should've known that Tara would've driven their wedding planner insane. I can't say I didn't feel sorry for Mark. Afterall, he would be married to my sister in a little more than a month. Of course they would want to have a wedding planner.

"It's all ruined! Everything is ruined!"
"Calm down, Tara. Everything will be okay."

My dad is one of those people who always thinks things are gonna be okay.

"Dad, without a wedding planner, we have no wedding!"
"Your mother and I didn't have a wedding planner."
"I've seen the pictures. YOUR WEDDING SUCKED!!!"

Tara ran to her room crying. Mark followed her.

"I have a strange suspicion that it would be in my best interest to leave the house."
"Probably. It's gonna be a long day. Luckily, Mark is a wonderful guy who can cheer your sister up!"
"Yup. Well, I'm gonna go to Ben's house."
"Okay. Call and let me know what your plans are."

I got into my car and then called up Melinda.

"I'm leaving my house. My parents think I'm going to Ben's."
"Oh, Michael Maccabbi, you're so sneaky."
"That's just the type of guy I am. I can stop by your house in a bit."
"Okay. My parents shouldn't be back from the mall for at least another hour."
"Perfect."

I came to her house where it was inevitable that I'd be having sex. We kissed, we touched, we rolled around. I loved sex with Melinda because I was in love with her and that makes sex all the more better. I held her as we moved together, our bodies against one another. Afterwards, her soft kisses were beautiful.

The only downside to this whole affair was that it truly was an affair. It was secret. Nobody, not even Ben, knew of my daily visits to Melinda's house. We both loved each other, but she had just gotten out of a relationship with Aaron Youngston and still wasn't ready for something new. Her and I had been sneaking around for three weeks now. I wondered when it would be that she would want to make it official with us.

The next day, at school, I couldn't concentrate. Melinda was now on my mind 24/7 and I couldn't wait til after school, when I could come to her house and make love to her. We would be going to my house, but between my sister planning her wedding and my dad recovering from his heart attack, there was just no possibility of finding a moment alone.

Walking to English, I noticed that Melinda was talking to someone...a guy. I didn't know who he was or why Melinda was talking to him. In fact, I was just about to walk up to her and ask her about it when an old nemesis came into sight.

"Mac-Attack."
"What do you want, Carrie?"

Carrie Wilcox. My ex-whore.

"I've been thinking about you all summer and how bad I was to you. I wanna make it up to you."
"Make it up to me, Carrie? You want to make it up to me?"
"I hear you're more experienced now. I want you. I want you more than I did last summer."

I thought for a second before coming up with a clever response. I then got real close and said:

"It's always good to want things, Carrie."

I then walked away, quite proud of myself. Well, I was proud of myself until I recieved a slip in English to go see Ms. Cropp, our Vice Principal.

"Hello, Michael."
"Ms. Cropp, why am I in here? Do I need an attorney present?"

Strangely enough, I hadn't been in a principal's office since I was in Hebrew School. Ben and I, along with our old friend Scott Siegel, practically lived in that place. Needless to say, I had never been in a regular-school principal's office, therefore I didn't really know the process.

"You don't need an attorney, Michael. Here, have a chocolate."

Wow, maybe I should get called into Ms. Cropp's office more often.

"Now, Michael, an old friend of your's was in here a few moments ago. A certain girl named Carrie Wilcox."
"Oh, God, what did she say?"
"That you were quite rude to her."
"Rude to her? Ms. Cropp, I barely even talk to the girl anymore. Today was the first time I spoke to her in months!"
"Well, I'd be careful about her. She scared even me."
"Will do. Can I go back to class now?"

As soon as I entered the halls of Deer Valley High School, I noticed that people were looking at me. They were looking at me with disgust, hatred, and a bunch of other bad types of looks.

I saw Ben.

"Dude, what the fuck is going on?"
"Mac, there's a new rumor right now."
"About me?"
"Yes."
"And what;s the rumor?"

Ben was hesitant.

"Ben, tell me about the rumor. Please, tell me about the rumor."

Ben took a deep breath and then spoke:

"Mac, Carrie is trying to tell people that you once forced yourself onto her."
"What? You mean she's saying I raped her?"
"No, no. Just that you pushed her against a wall and forcefully made out with her."
"Oh, God. This isn't good. How many people know about it?"
"Well, she put her personal account of it on that bulletin board."
"PERSONAL ACCOUNT???"
"Mac, you need to talk to Ms. Cropp before this gets out of hand."
"I just talked to Ms. Cropp!"
"About what?"
"Carrie came to her office saying that I had been quite rude."
"Were you?"
"OF COURSE I WAS!"

The rest of the day really sucked and I couldn't wait to go to Melinda's and blow off some steam.

"God, I needed that," I said as I laid her her bed.
"So, what exactly is going on with Carrie Wilcox?"
"Rumors, Melinda. Everything she's talking about is untrue. I can't believe it."
"It's probably cus you didn't fuck her."
"I can't believe she'd still be pissed about that."
"Me either."

Melinda kissed me.

"How could anyone try to ruin the life of someone as cute as you?"
"I don't know. It's a true mystery."

We began kissing again and it seemed we were about to go for Round 2 when I suddenly remembered something I needed to ask her.

"Melinda?"
"Yes?"
"Who were you talking to earlier?"
"Michael, I've talked to a lot of people today. You're gonna have to be more specific."
"A guy, Melinda. Who was the guy you were talking to right before 4th hour?"
"Oh, that guy. Don't worry, it's no one you need to worry your cute little butt about."

She kissed me again.

"Melinda, was he asking you out?"
"Michael, why do we have to talk about this? Can't we just make love in silence?"
"Because it's important, Melinda. Was this guy asking you out?"
"Okay, fine. He was asking me out."

I looked at her.

"Did you say yes?"

Melinda looked at me hesitantly.

"Yes. I said Yes. He just wants to take me to dinner. A girl's gotta eat, right?"
"You know, I could take you out to dinner. I have a job. I make enough money that I could take you out every single week."

I got out of bed and put my pants on.

"Why are you being like this?"
"Why am I being like this? Because I'm sneaking around with you, coming by when your parents aren't home, lying to my best friend and my family, and it's all because I'm so in love with you that none of that shit matters!"
"Michael, you know I love you too."
"Oh yeah? Then why aren't we doing something about it?"
"We are."
"Yeah, cus coming over to your house and fucking you is doing something about it!"
"Michael--"
"I've got other things to deal with right now. I'll see you tomorrow."

I left Melinda's house without giving her a kiss.

The first thing I did when I got to school the next day was to go to Ms. Cropp's office to deal with the Carrie Wilcox situation.

"Ms. Cropp--this girl is conspiring to ruin my life!"

Ms. Cropp was silent before laughing.

"That's just what women do. Just wait until you're married."
"Ms. Cropp, she's starting rumors. She posted a 'personal account' about the evil that is me on the bulletin board right outside."
"This is serious."
"YOU THINK?"
"I'll get her in here right away."

Ms. Cropp picked up her phone.

"I need a Carrie Wilcox to come to my office. Thank you."

Ms. Cropp wanted me to stay in the office. About four minutes after the phone call, Ms. Cropp's phone rang.

"Okay, send her in."

When the girl walked into the office, I only had one thought on my mind.

"Uh, Ms. Cropp--that's not Carrie Wilcox."
"Yes, I am. Who are you?"

I couldn't believe it. There were TWO girls named Carrie Wilcox.

"I'm Michael Maccabbi. Uh, you're not the right Carrie Wilcox."
"No duh. I'm a cheerleader, I'm in AP Classes, and I have a clean record. What am I doing in here?"
"Oh, I'm so sorry. I was trying to get the other Carrie Wilcox in here."
"Wait, I know who you are now--you're the Mac-Attack. My friend Lily hooked up with you at Cashman Park last year."
"Uh, nice to meet you too."
"Michael is subject to some rumors right now."
"That's what I've heard. I don't believe them."

Suddenly, the correct Carrie Wilcox entered the office.

"Ms. Cropp, what is Mac doing here? And who are you?"
"I'm Carrie Wilcox. You must be Carrie Wilcox."
"Ms. Wilcox, we will have no more of your rumors at this school. It ends now. Michael, Carrie #2, you can both leave now. Other Carrie, I'm calling your father!"
"No!"
"Have a nice day."

I walked out of that office a new person. No one was trying to ruin my life anymore. I was a free man.

The bell rang and everyone was looking at me with respect and pride. It felt good to be loved by the people again.

"Hey, Mac."
"Carrie #2."
"I was thinking--I heard you were really fun. I was wondering if I could see for myself."

This took me by surprise. I wasn't sure how to respond. However, my response just came to me when I saw Melinda talking to the guy from yesterday again.

"I usually like to buy a cup of coffee for the girl first."
"I'd like that. Are you free after school?"

I caught Melinda's eye as she was talking to this other guy. I decided that if she was gonna date other people, maybe I should too.

"Yeah. That'll be fine."

I was told once by my grandfather that, in complicated situations, you do what you have to do. Melinda wanted to keep our affair a secret, so I did what I had to do by lying to everyone about it. Carrie Wilcox was trying to ruin my life, so I did what I had to do by going to Ms. Cropp. Melinda wanted to see someone else, so I did what I had to do by deciding to go out with the other Carrie Wilcox.

It was a complicated situation, so I did what I had to do.

Sincerely,
Mac-Attack

No comments: