Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Finding the Perfect Moment in the Life of the Mac-Attack

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh the lovely sound of an alarm clock on the first day of school.

Yes, it was the first day of my Senior Year.

Was I excited? Somewhat.
Was I nervous? Somewhat.
Was I scared out of my fucking mind? VERY MUCH SO.

The first day of school at Deer Valley High is always hectic. Everyone is getting their schedules, catching up with old friends, making new friends, etc. Teachers are always in an extremely good mood.

"I love teaching, especially seniors. I love seniors, and I also love the PARENTS of Seniors because they will always be there for you. ALWAYS."

My American Government teacher is named Ms. Lowe. She is from the South and she apparently loves parents. She seems...interesting.

Luckily, I have some familiar faces in the class.

"Hey, Michael."
"Hey, Melinda."

Melinda finally started talking to me again. I guess now that Aaron is out of the picture, she doesn't feel weird about hanging out with me. Last week, after we were at a party, Melinda told me that she loves me and wants me. Of course, she said this as I was tucking her in; she was a little drunk.

"Class, do you all understand the importance of letting your opinions be heard?"

Yes.

"In America, there's a way for you to get your opinions heard. Who knows of this process?"

No one was raising their hands. They must have been retarded.

"Voting, Ms. Lowe."
"Very good. What is your name?"
"Mac."
"Well, Mac, you get a Gold Star. Very good, Mac. What a creative name: Mac. Does anyone ever add 'Attack' to the end of it?"

Most of the people in the class laughed and nodded their heads, since most people do call me "Mac-Attack".

"Mac, this is strange. I don't see you on my roster."
"That's because Mac is just a nickname. My name is actually Michael Maccabbi."
"Why didn't you say so? You had me believing that your name is really Mac. I was frantically looking through my roster and didn't see the name 'Mac' anywhere! You should've told me your real name, Mac. Why didn't you tell me your real name?"

This was going to be a FUN CLASS!!!

The bell finally rang.

"Wait up, Melinda."
"That was quite a show."
"Oh, you mean with Ms. Lowe?"
"Yeah. Why don't you just say your real name for once?"
"Come on Melinda, no one calls me 'Michael' besides you and my parents."
"Other than me and your parents, who else matters?"

She smiled playfully.

"So where are you off to next?"
"Pre-Calc. Those numbers are calling my name."
"Well, I'd walk there with you--except that I'm not in Pre-Calc."

We laughed a little bit. I feel like we were having a moment or something because we suddenly began moving a little closer. However, we moved no closer when Ben entered our sight.

"Hey, guys."

Melinda and I awkwardly began acting like there was nothing between us.

"Uh, hey. Good to be back in school with my two best friends."
"Yes, very best friends. Glad to be back in school."

Ben looked at us.

"Did either of you guys take your coffee Irish this morning?"

Melinda and I awkwardly laughed.

"So, I'll see you later?"
"Definitely."

We shared an awkward hug.

"Bye, guys."

After she walked away, Ben looked at me.

"What's going on between the two of you?"
"Well, for the moment, nothing! Thanks to you, nothing is going on."
"What did I do?"
"I think Melinda and I were having a moment. Then you interrupted it."
"Oh. I'm sorry, Mac."
"I may never have a moment with her again. Those don't come around everyday, you know."
"Mac, after last week's party, the possibilities are endless."
"You think so?"
"Come on, Mac. She practically begged you to sleep with her and you turned it down because you didn't want to take advantage of a drunk girl whom you were in love with."
"Geez, is that what I did? Wow, that's the second time I've turned down sex from her. I really need to stop doing that."
"Mac, I'm being serious. All you need to do now is let your feelings for Melinda be known to her."
"I think she knows."
"It wouldn't hurt to remind her."

As I went to English with Mrs. Parkdale and thought about what Ben was saying about reminding Melinda of my feelings for her. Afterall, I had told her my feelings initially back in May. It was August now. There was no reason why I shouldn't let her know that my feelings hadn't changed. After school, I waited by Melinda's car.

"Hey, what are you doing over here? I figured you'd want to head home."
"Traffic's gonna keep me here for a while anyway."
"I see. You have a point."

We were quiet for a minute.

"Michael, I never thanked you for what you did after B's party? You didn't have to."
"Well, actually, I kinda did."
"Not after the way I'd been treating you. I didn't even congratulate you on becoming President of USY."
"Melinda, don't sweat it. I gave you your space and you came around."

She smiled.

"I was really drunk."
"No. Really?"

We laughed a little bit.

"I should probably get to my car."
"Wait, Michael."

I was heavily anticipating what she was going to say.

"I said some things to you while I was drunk."

Oh great. The bomb was dropped on me that she didn't mean anything she said while she was drunk. I thought alcohol was supposed to make you tell the truth!

"I understand. We all say things we don't mean when we are drunk."

No we don't. The thing is that we are completely honest when we are drunk. At least, that's how it's SUPPOSED to be.

"No, I meant every word of it."

Suddenly, she began moving closer. I moved closer at the same time.

I feel like we were about to kiss when suddenly my phone started vibrating.

"Damnit."

It was my Mom.

"Hello?"
"Michael, your father has gone into cardiac arrest. He's being rushed to the hospital."

I didn't say anything.

"Michael, I need you to say something."
"What hospital, Mom?"
"Mayo."
"I'll be right there."

I hung up.

"What's wrong?"
"It's my dad. He's going to the hospital. I'll call you later."

I ran off to my car and drove to Mayo Hospital. My dad was in the Emergency Room where they were figuring out what was wrong. It was very mild, so they didn't need to have him in the ICU, but it was still traumatic for me. When the doctors said I could, I went into his room where my mom and sister Tara were sitting.

"Dad!"

I was crying my eyes out as soon as I saw him. I walked toward him and gripped his hand.

"Michael, it's okay. The doctors say I'm going to be fine."
"What happened?"

I was still crying. I couldn't remember the last time I cried so much.

"I haven't been eating right or exercising nearly enough. I was walking up the stairs when I suddenly felt this crazy pain in my arm, as well as in my heart."

I couldn't believe that my father was describing a heart-attack to me as if it was a completely normal thing. I mean, he had been in the hospital before for a much longer period, but it was still very scary for me.

"Luckily your mother knows CPR or I wouldn't be standing here--well, laying here--today."

Suddenly, there was a knock on the hospital door.

"That's probably the nurse with my heart-healthy meal."
"Come in."

It wasn't the nurse and there was no heart-healthy meal.

"Hi, Rabbi Maccabbi. How are "ou feeling?"
"Melinda, how many times do I have to tell you? Call me Al!"

Melinda smiled.

"We've missed seeing you this summer, Melinda."
"Yeah, I'm sorry about that. Was kinda busy with things."
"Well, that's okay. We're not that exciting anyway."

Melinda, along with my mom and sister, laughed at my dad's comment.

"Melinda, did you hear I'm getting married?"
"Yeah, I heard. Congratulations."
"Thank you. It's gonna be a fabulous wedding!"

Everyone was quiet.

"Michael, why don't you and Melinda go get some drinks from the cafeteria? Darrin and JT want to come in here, anyway. There can't be too many people in here, you know."
"Yeah, we can do that."

We left the room. Melinda and I began walking toward the cafeteria. We didn't talk much while getting our drinks. I never feel like talking much when in hospitals for some reason.

"Well, I should probably get to my car."
"I'll walk you out there."
"Okay."

We got out to her car.

"You have no idea what it means to me that you came here to see my dad. Thank you, Melinda."
"Well, your dad has always been so good to me."
"Well, he's a good guy. I'm glad he's okay."
"Me too."

It was silent for a moment.

"Well, uh, I should get home."
"Yeah, I should get back in there."

We shared another awkward hug. I then started walking away. To my surprise, I didn't see Melinda drive away. In fact, I didn't even hear her shut her car door. I looked back and saw that she was still standing there. I then turned around and found myself running toward her. She was running toward me as well. Once we finally got to each other, we were kissing passionately. We had kissed before, but this time was different.

All day, I'd been trying to find the perfect moment with her. I'd come close twice already but got interrupted both times. I guess it took a heart attack and a hospital for her and I to get it right.

Her lips were soft and tasted of strawberry lip balm. It was like no kiss I'd ever had before. I knew right then and there that it was possible that I would never have a kiss like that again.

At that moment, I wasn't sure where the kiss would lead to, but I wasn't thinking about where it would lead to either. I was living in the moment, and at that particular time, the moment was the best place to live.

Sincerely,
Mac-Attack

No comments: