Monday, August 24, 2009

The Aftermath of a Moment in the Life of the Mac-Attack

I guarantee that most of you can describe the best kiss you've ever had. Some remember being under a tree at age 13. Some feel that their best kiss was after prom, right before they were going to make love for the very first time. There's always the cliche "kiss in the rain". I've experienced all of these types of kisses, and none of them could compare to the kiss that I had just shared with Melinda.

It was under the strangest of circumstances: You see, my dad was in the Emergency Room after having a heart attack. Melinda came to the hospital to be with me and my family and to see my dad. Then, after I walked her out to her car, she ran to me and we kissed. We kissed for what seemed like a hundred years; those are the best kisses.

We looked at each other and continued to kiss, these kisses being a little softer and sweeter.

"I'm sure glad I came to the hospital now."

I laughed and we continued to kiss.

This wasn't the first time we'd ever kissed. The backstory goes as follows: at prom, I was still seeing Dara Karpen. While Dara was in the ladies' room, Melinda confessed that she had loved me for a long time. The next day, after making love to Dara, I was dumped. I then had the impulse to go to Melinda's house, and when she answered the door, I kissed her.

I wasn't exactly in my right mind when I did that, since I had just been dumped, but I knew I was in my right mind this time. Her lips felt so amazing against mine that I never wanted to detach myself from her. They were the perfect amount of soft.

"I wondered when we'd do this again."
"Well, here we are doing this again."

She kissed me again.

"I love you, Melinda. I've always loved you."
"Michael, I love you too."

We kissed for a really long time again. I wondered if we should've moved; there were a lot of angry people trying to get around us in the parking lot.

"Well, I think I should probably get home. My parents are gonna come in a little while to see your dad, though."

She then looked at me seductively.

"I'm gonna be all alone."

I could tell she was trying to entice me to come over. Dara used to do this to me all the time. Gentlemen who might be reading this: when a girl starts talking like that, understand that she's finding a creative way to invite you over.

"Well, being alone is no fun."

My other advice to all you gentlemen is to play along with it. Keep the dialogue going.

"Yeah. I wish I had someone to be with me. I mean, there could be burglars, and I can't protect myself from them."

Since Melinda wasn't just some girl I was looking to hook up with, I figured I should probably make myself sound more romantic.

I moved even closer to her and said: "I will always protect you, Melinda. You can always count on me."

"So I'll see you later then?"
"Absolutely."

We kissed one last time in the parking lot. She then went to her car and drove off.

My first instinct was to call Ben. I just knew he would want to hear about it.

602 294 1027

I got his Voice Mail.

"Yo Yo Yo! You've reached B to the E to the N; that spells Ben! I'm out and about livin it up and can't get the phone now. Leave a message after the Ba-zeep!"

My best friend is so goofy sometimes!

"Hey, it's me. Something amazing happened and I have to tell you about it. Give me a call."

I walked back into the hospital to let everyone know I was gonna go home.

"We're all gonna stick around for a while. You sure you wanna go home?"

My mom had a point, but I didn't really want to be with anyone other than Melinda. Plus, I'm not a big fan of hospitals. I decided to use the second reason as my excuse.

"You know how I feel about hospitals. I'll be fine."
"Don't wait up."
"I won't."

I walked over to my father's hospital bed and hugged him.

"I'm glad you're okay."
"Me too, son. Me too."

On that note, I left the hospital and headed home. About an hour later, I got the text message from Melinda.

"All clear. Come over whenever."

I figured that "whenever" was now, so I headed over there.

There was a sign on the door that said: Just Come on In. I did exactly as the sign told me to do. As soon as I knew it, I saw Melinda standing toward the middle of her staircase wearing a sexy number made of black lace.

"I've been waiting for you."

I can't say that I wasn't nervous. I mean, I hadn't been a virgin for several months now, but the last time Melinda had offered herself to me, I ran away.

"I've been waiting for you too."

It seemed that I had been waiting for her my entire life. I didn't know it when we were two years old, but I knew now that Melinda Moskowitz was the only girl I wanted.

"Why have we been waiting so long?"

I started walking up the stairs.

"Because it wasn't our time yet."

I was right where she was standing now. I was so close that I could feel her breath on my lips.

"Is it our time now?"

I looked at her with romantic eyes.

"I think we've waited long enough."

On that note, we kissed even more passionately than we had earlier in the hospital parking lot.

The next thing I knew, we were in her bedroom. The last time I was in there, I was tucking her drunk self in after a party. That night, she had asked me to stay, but I didn't. The difference was that, this time, we were both sober and I would stay.

After we made love, I held her for a long time. Suddenly, I heard my phone ringing.

602 294 1027

"Well, Ben's finally calling me back."
"Oh? When did you call?"
"Right after you left the hospital. I wanted to tell him the good news."

Melinda looked at me as I was about to pick up my phone. She grabbed the phone from me before I could answer it.

"Michael, there's no real news to report to Ben."

What did she mean?

"What do you mean?"
"I mean that I just got out of a relationship. I'm not completely over Aaron yet."

I looked at her, this time with confused eyes.

"Then what was all of this? You said you loved me."
"I do, but I can't be in a relationship right now."
"Can't or won't?"
"Maybe both."

My phone was still ringing.

"Are you gonna answer that?"

I got out of bed and answered my phone.

"Hello?"
"Mac, you called me about something amazing. What happened?"

Melinda looked at me as if she was begging me not to tell him.

"Oh, uh, my dad's heart attack was only mild. He's doing great and that's what the amazing thing is."
"Your dad had a heart attack?"
"Yeah. I thought I had told you. Well, no worries because he is fine."
"Well, that's good. Give him my best."
"I will. I'll talk to you later, Ben."
"Alright. Bye, Mac."

I hung up the phone and decided to start putting my clothes on.

"Please don't go, Michael."
"Melinda, I don't know what you want."
"Well, what do you want?"
"I want you."
"And I want you. I just need more time."

She looked at me.

"We can be together, Michael. We just can't tell anyone about it, at least not right now."
"So you just expect me to fool around with you until you decide that you may or may not want something more with me?"

She looked at me again, and then: "If that's not too much to ask, then yes. That's what I'm asking of you. For me."

I thought about it for a minute. I knew that this could end up hurting me more than the other option, but at the time, it made the most sense to me.

"I can do that."
"Good. Thank you. Now--are you gonna come back to bed?"
"Sure."

As I got back into bed and kissed the woman I loved, I thought about what I was doing. I hadn't done the "friends with benefits" thing since Carrie Wilcox, and that situation didn't exactly turn out in my favor. I hoped I was making the right decision right now. It was either "have Melinda as a FWB" or "don't have Melinda at all", and when I thought about it that way, the first option sounded pretty good.

People do really crazy things when they are in love. Some guys decide that it is more important to be with their girl than to be with their family. Some guys completely leave their best friend out of the loop. Some guys even decide that being with a girl in any fashion is okay, no matter who's heart is on the line.

That night, I did all three of those things. I just hoped I wasn't setting myself up for a big fall.

Sincerely,
Mac-Attack

No comments: