Thursday, August 13, 2009

The End of Summer in the Life of the Mac-Attack

There was one week left of summer, and if I can tell you one thing about this summer, it's that this was quite possibly the longest summer of my life. Let's recap:

- I went to California on a crazy whim and stayed there for almost six weeks.
- I got back from California to find that the love of my life had officially been driven to someone else.
- My sister got engaged.
- I was appointed to be the Co-President of USY.

I'd say that's a pretty eventful summer.

But it wasn't over yet.

There was one more party to go to this summer.
Brian Berg, or B, had already thrown two parties this summer. I suppose he felt that he needed to end his summer on a good note.

"You see, Mac-Attack, I need to end my summer on a good note."
"Well, you know I never miss your parties, B."
"Then you'll be there?"
"Of course."
"Great! I wasn't sure if I'd even want to have a party without you there, Mac-Attack. My beginning of summer party was definitely missing something. It's probably because you weren't there."
"Yup. That must be it."

B admires me a lot, and it can be a little overwhelming/creepy at times.

The day before the party, we had our very first board meeting. I was there, obviously, along with Ben (my best friend and our Vice President) and Aaron (my co-president and boyfriend of Melinda). Maryl, our youth director and Melinda's mom was also in attendance.

The rest of the board was there as well. All of them are sophomores just dying to get involved in USY Politics.

Our Communications officer is named Tony Abromi, and he's an Italian Jew. This would explain why he has big black hair and an equally big nose.

Our Israel Affairs Officer is named Sharon Stone, and she's pretty chill. Very quiet, but passionate about Israel and what not.

Our Membership/Kadima Officer is named Amanda Braun, and she's a tad bit annoying, especially with her unsettling voice that sounds similar to that of Fran Drescher.

Our Religion/Education VP is named Josh Mauer. The funny thing about Josh is that he is so similar to my younger brother JT. Both of them are into shopping, and there is also debate on each of their sexual orientations. I don't think they've ever met, but it might be nice for JT to have a new friend.

"Hello, board members. In a minute, I'm going to be giving the floor to Michael and Aaron, but I just wanted to start off by saying how excited I am for this year in USY. We have a lot of enthusiastic people on this board, so it's going to be a lot of fun."

For some odd reason, the sophomores began clapping. Aaron and I looked at each other and then started off.

"Okay, guys. I am Aaron, and this is Mac. We are your co-presidents."

The sophomores clapped once again.

"This is gonna be a long meeting," I muttered under my breath.

When the sophomores were done clapping, I continued.

"I'd also like to introduce Ben Sheiner, your Vice President--you guys really don't need to be clapping after we name everyone."

They didn't clap for the rest of the meeting. If they had, the two hours would've gone much slower than it was already going. After the meeting, I was about to drive off when Aaron caught up with me.

"I need to talk to you."
"Yeah, I know, the board is really young, but that could be to our advantage."
"Mac, it's about something else."

He looked at me for a minute.

"I'm breaking up with Melinda tomorrow."
"What?"

I wondered if what he had really said what he had just said. I'd recently had many dreams in which Melinda would come to me and say: "I left Aaron. You're the only one that I want, Mac-Attack." But then I realize it's a dream because Melinda has never called me "Mac-Attack" in our entire lives. In fact, she hates that aspect of me.

"Everything with her and I has just become so routine. There's nothing exciting about it anymore."
"And you think you can find more excitement with someone else?"
"Listen, Mac, you understand. Relationships are overrated; maybe I should just take your approach."

I looked at Aaron. On one hand, I was sorta hoping that this day would come. Afterall, I am in love with Melinda. Maybe with Aaron out of the picture, I could finally have my shot.

But on the other hand, Aaron made her happy. I didn't want to see her get hurt.

"Aaron, forget everything I've ever said about relationships. You don't wanna be like me. You have an incredible girl and you shouldn't just throw it away due to lack of excitement. I'm sure there's lots of things you two could do to spice things up."

Aaron seemed to be intrigued by this statement.

"Well, there is something I've been wanting to try in bed. I just need some duct tape and some hand cuffs and--"
"Okay, Aaron. Glad I could help. See you at the party tomorrow night."

Tomorrow night came fast. Ben was the designated driver of the evening, and I told him all about the conversation with Aaron.

"I thought you'd be thrilled that Aaron wants to dump Melinda. You could get your relationship with her back on track. She only got with Aaron in the first place because you didn't make a move on her."
"But it turned into something more. She loves him and I can't see her get hurt."
"Even if it means that you end up hurt."
"So goes the game of love."

When we arrived at B's house, it was apparent that this would be different than any of his parties that we had been to before.

"BEER WAR!!!"

Our gracious host was already wasted.

"Did you know there would be alcohol here?"
"B never said anything to me. Oh well, let's go grab a beer."
"I'm driving."
"Oh yeah. Well, more for me."

I'm not a big drinker, but I felt that a couple beers might relax me and get me into the partying mood.

"MAC-ATTACK!!!!!!"
"B. I can tell you're taking advantage of not having to drive tonight."
"This is the BEST PARTY EVER!"

On the other hand, it might be smarter to have just one beer. I wasn't in a "get drunk" type of mood.

B grabbed me a Sam Adams and I walked around looking for people.

"Are Melinda and Aaron gonna be here?"
"Aaron said they would."
"Maybe we should find them."
"Alright. You look out here and I'll look upstairs."

After walking up 40 steps, I was finally upstairs. Most of the bedroom doors were open--except for one. I wondered if maybe Aaron and Melinda were in that room trying out that thing he almost told me about.

"No harm in knocking," I thought.

I knocked and heard Aaron's voice saying: "WHO IS IT?" He didn't sound sober.

"It's me. I was wondering where you guys are."
"Oh, Mac-Attack, you can come in!"

I walked in and saw something I did NOT want to see. A pants-less Aaron and--not Melinda.

"Ladies, meet my man Mac-Attack."

There were two girls that were not Melinda.

"Um, this is different."

I stared in silence for about a minute before I finally lost it and said:

"YOU BASTARD! HOW THE FUCK COULD YOU DO THIS TO MELINDA? I SHOULD KICK YOUR ASS FOR THIS!"
"Mac, calm down. It's okay."
"No, Aaron, it's not okay. The fact that she chose you over me, thinking you were a better guy for her than me. Well I'll tell ya--"
"Melinda broke up with me, Mac."
"This is just an outrage and--wait, what?"
"Melinda came over to my place and broke it off with me."

I was silent as I stared blankly. I didn't know what to say.

"Don't look so surprised--ladies, can you give us a minute?"

The two girls left the room.

"Do you know why she broke up with me?"
"How should I know? I thought she was crazy about you."
"She never loved me, Mac. She really loved you. She's always loved you."
"And she said this to you?"
"She just told me she couldn't keep pretending. I assume it meant that she isn't over you."

I was speechless again.

"I'd love to keep talking, but can I please have my rebound three-way now?"
"What? Oh, yeah, sure. I have to go find her."

As I ran out the door, I heard Aaron attempting to run after me saying: "Mac, she's been drinking!" I also heard him fall face-first onto the carpet. It's not exactly easy to run while you're drunk.

I got a call from Ben.

"Mac, Melinda is with me. We have to get her home. She's plastered."
"I'll be right down."

The two of them were waiting right by the stairs.

"Is that Michael? Hi, Michael, remember me?"

I'd never seen her drunk before, and I must say that she was being much nicer than she had been lately.

"We should go."
"Yeah."
"I don't wanna go. I'm a girl and girls just wanna have fun. I just wanna have fun."

She didn't protest at all on the ride back to her house. When we got there, I got out of the car and I helped her to the door.

"Michael, I broke up with Aaron."
"I heard."
"I--There's a reason I--wow, you are hot."

She attempted to take a step forward and fell backward. I caught her.

"And you are so strong. There's a reason I loved you for so many years."

I helped her get into her house. I carried her up the stairs and into her room very quietly.

I layed her down on her bed, and I suddenly felt her lips against mine. I pulled away after a few seconds.

"Stay with me tonight. I love you."
"I can't."
"But I want you!"
"You're drunk."
"I'm not drunk--You're drunk!"

She looked at me with her bright blue eyes.

"Don't you still want me?"

I then looked at her with sympathetic eyes.

"Of course I do."

I tucked her in. She fell asleep immediately.

"That's why I can't be with you tonight."

I kissed her forehead and walked back down the stairs. I got into Ben's car and we headed back to my house.

The next day, everything was back to normal. Well, almost everything.

"Michael, I need to talk to you."

I was working when Maryl came into my dad's office.

"Yes, of course."

We walked to her office and she handed me a peice of paper:

Dear Maryl,
Due to recent events involving my personal life, I have chosen to resign the presidency of TBZ USY. I know that Mac will do a fine job as President. Afterall, he knows more about USY politics than I do.
-Aaron Youngston

"Michael, I can't appoint another co-president. It wouldn't look good."
"What does this mean?"
"It means you are on your own. Don't worry, I have a lot of faith in you."

I was stunned.

"There's an emergency board meeting. You are to announce Aaron's resignation to the board at that time."

A couple hours later, I was standing in front of the entire board of TBZ USY.

"Board members, it is with great shock that I announce to all of you that Aaron Youngston has resigned the Presidency. I will be the only president of TBZ USY."

There was some talking amongst the board members.

"I know it's going to be hard to run a big chapter like our's without two presidents, but I think that if we all work together, this year will still be successful. Our chapter is still as strong as ever, and I am confident that our board will be strong enough to hold it all together. If there are no further questions, we can all be on our way now."

I got up and walked out. I wondered what would happen next and if I could even do this without a co-president. But when I saw the expression on the faces of the board members as they got up from the meeting, I realized that we had a devoted team and that I wouldn't be alone at all.

Sincerely,
Mac-Attack

No comments: