Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Driving Home in the Life of the Mac-Attack

Okay, so where did we leave off?

Oh yeah, it all started when Ben left California to go back home. I proceeded to hook up with the receptionist at my Grandma's eye doctor's office. The next morning, I walked into my Grandma's house only to see that my wonderful parents had gotten there first. My mom and dad were just so thrilled to see me!

"We're so thrilled to see you, son."
"Yes, after more than a month, it's VERY nice to see you."
"I just love family reunions!"

I looked at my grandma strangely.

"So, did you have fun with the girl from the eye doctor's office?"
"Uh, yeah, she was cool."

I was so shocked that I really didn't have too much to say.

"She must've been cool. You obviously had SEX with this girl!"
"Did you use the condoms I bought you, Michael?"

My dad gave my Grandma a very dirty look.

"Well, I think some breakfast might be in order. Al, you and Shayna must be starving after that long drive."

My grandma left the room, and then it was just me and the parents.

"So...what's up?"

If you hadn't noticed already, I'm not very good at starting conversations during awkward moments.

"What's up? What's up is that you've been gone for over a month."
"I've kept in touch, Mom."
"Yes, but it doesn't change the fact that you're here doing God knows what with God knows who."
"And God IS watching you."
"Are you reading the Torah or are you reading 1984?"

I tend to be a smart-ass when I don't really know what to say.

"Marty Sheiner called me and told me Ben came home. I think it's about time that you do the same. Plus, the shul is getting really busy with people wanting to join. I'd really like to have my assistant back."

My father paused.

"I'd like my son back too. Believe it or not, we really have missed you."

I was stunned. For a moment, I felt really connected to my parents.

"Yes, even if you DO have STDs."

And the moment's gone.

"Breakfast is served."

We sat around the kitchen table eating eggs and stuff like that. After breakfast, I packed my things and loaded up my car. My parents agreed to leave before me, since they had brought their own car. I sat down with my grandma for a second.

"So, the trip didn't end the way you expected."
"Yeah, you can say that."

She had a sweet smile on her face; she always did.

"I'm going to miss having you around."
"I'm going to miss being around, Grandma."

She hugged me tightly.

"Now, remember, those condoms don't expire until July 2011. Use them wisely."

I couldn't help but laugh.

"Okay, I will."

I left the house and started driving. Six hours is a lot of time to think about things and to put them into perspective. I was in California for one month, one week and four days. It was a long time to be away from home, but I really needed that time to be away. All the drama that had led up to my trip was a lot to handle, and it was nice to have zero drama for a while. I met a couple girls, had some great moments, and all-in-all, had an amazing trip. I didn't really want to come home, but maybe it was time.

I thought about Laura, my true Summer romance. I thought about how much fun those three weeks had been, about our first kiss, and about our last kiss.

I even thought about the time I spent with Ben, who came to California about three weeks after I had gotten there. We had some adventures, from his awkward date with Laura's cousin, to his hook-up with Ariel Woods. I decided to give him a call to let him know I was gonna be home.

602 555 3133

"So, you've decided to finally come home."

How did he know?

"How did you know?"
"I've got my sources...and I also guessed."
"Well, you guessed right. I'm coming home."
"I knew you couldn't survive in California without me!"
"Ben, I was there for three weeks before you came out there."
"Well--I--you missed me and you know it."
"I did, my friend, but I'll be home tonight. We should hang out tomorrow."
"Yeah, definitely. I'll talk to ya later. Have a safe trip."
"Alright, man, see ya later."

About 15 minutes after I was off the phone with Ben, I recieved another phone call.

480 555 9701

"Hello?"
"Mac-Attack! I hear you're back from the dead!"

It was none other than my friend Brian Berg, more commonly known as B.

"What's up, B?"
"What's up is that you missed my party back in June."
"Yeah, sorry about that, man. I've been out of town for the past 5 weeks."
"So I've noticed. Seems like you were off the grid somewhere. Where were you, Wyoming?"
"B, why on Earth would I want to go to Wyoming?"
"You have a point. So where WERE you?"
"Malibu; my grandmother's beach house."
"Nice, nice."
"Yeah, it was a good trip."
"Good to hear. Anyway, I'm throwing you a Welcome Home Party at my place on Saturday night. Hopefully it will make up for you missing my party last month."
"B, let me ask you something: do your parents KNOW you throw all these parties? I don't think I've ever met them."
"Of course they know about the parties. Who do you think pays for it all?"
"Good point."
"So we're set for Saturday night. I'll invite the best girls to...welcome you home, if you know what I mean."

I really hope he didn't mean hookers.

"Alright then. Uh, I'm on the road, so I'll talk to you later."
"For sure, man. See ya Saturday!"

And on that note, I was off the phone with B. I decided to turn up the radio when I heard the song that was playing. Please forgive me for liking Country music, but the song that was playing was very fitting for me. It was called "Long Trip Alone" by Dierks Bentley, and it was obviously fitting for me for I, myself, had just taken a long trip alone. There was one segment in the song that really spoke to me:

It's a short peice of time but just enough to find
A little peace of mind under the sun somewhere

For the last couple days, I had really started thinking about the actual reason that I had come to California in the first place. I thought that maybe I just wanted to run away from my problems. I also thought that I had gone to California to get over Melinda, or even Dara. But the more I listened to the song, I realized that I went to California because I just needed some time to myself. I remember the night that I left for California, how lost and confused I had been. I was ready to be home and to move on from everything.

I recieved one more phone call on my trip home.

602 555 2643

"Melinda, hi."
"I hear that you're coming home."
"Yup. I'm going through Wickenberg as we speak."
"That's cool. Yeah, I was surprised to hear about your homecoming from B of all people. He was inviting me to your Welcome Home party. I figured you would've called me before calling HIM."
"I didn't call him. I suppose Ben talked to him."
"So you called Ben?"
"Of course I did."
"But you didn't call me."
"Melinda, I don't have to answer to you. It's not like we're dating or something."
"You're not dating Ben either."
"Ben's my best friend."
"And what am I?"

Crap, I knew that came out wrong.

"Melinda, you're still my other best friend. I'm sorry I didn't call you, but I just didn't feel that it was important."
"Well, I guess you're right."

There was a pause.

"What time will you be back?"
"I'll be be back in time for dinner."
"Great. Can we meet at By the Slice? I really want to see you."

WAIT A MINUTE--Melinda chose Aaron Youngston over me. Why on Earth would she want to have dinner with me when she could have dinner with him? This is confusing.

Not knowing what else to say, I said: "Would Aaron be okay with that?"

I wondered if I shouldn't have said that.

"Michael, why is it that a friend can't see a friend without a bunch of questions being asked?"
"I don't know if it's a good idea, Melinda."
"Why? Nothing's going to happen. I have a boyfriend."
"Yes, you do, which is why I don't think it would be a good idea for me to go out with you tonight. Aaron might get the wrong idea."
"Don't you want to see me?"

Of course I want to see you! I've missed you so much! Forget what I just said!!!

"I can't tonight, Melinda. But I'll see you at the party on Saturday night."

There was a pause.

"Melinda?"
"Yes, I'll be there. I'm--I'm glad you're coming home."
"Strangely, me too."
"Okay, well I guess I'll talk to you later."
"Yeah, definitely."

I spent the rest of the trip wondering why I turned down Melinda's offer to have dinner. After all, she IS my friend, and it WOULD be nice to see her. But the more I thought about it, the more I came to terms with a hard truth:

I'm still not over her.

Sincerely,
Mac-Attack

No comments: