Monday, June 1, 2009

An Anniversary in the Life of the Mac-Attack

*Ring* *Ring*

I answered my cell phone on Thursday to hear the voice of my favorite girl.

"Hey, stud."

I love it when she calls me that.

"Hey, babe," I answered. "What's happenin?"

"Just thinkin about ya."
"In other words, the usual?"

I am so damn smooth sometimes that it drives me crazy.

"Guess what this weekend is, Mac?"

I was puzzled. I knew that it was the second weekend in May.

Not sure what to say, I guessed.

"Well, the Dodgers are in town."

She laughed, although I didn't quite understand how a ballgame between the Diamondbacks and the Dodgers was a laughing matter.

"On Sunday, we will have been together for exactly one month."

Whoa, that was unexpected.

"Oh yeah, that's right. Our one-month anniversary. How time flies."
"It sure does."

Then suddenly:

"I was thinking that I could cook for you on Saturday night to celebrate. Maybe you can come by my house around 7:30."

Well, let me think. On Saturday night, would I rather eat a frozen dinner and watch the baseball game, OR would I rather have a home-cooked meal with my beautiful girlfriend? You tell me.

"That sounds great. I'll bring the dessert, maybe some ice cream?"
"I've got a much better dessert for you."

Well, that definitely beats watching the baseball game.

"That sounds perfect, babe. I can't wait."
"Okay, well I'll see you later. I love you."
"I love you too. Bye."
"Bye."

It was set. Our one-month anniversary was gonna be great.

Now, I must confess something to you guys. I've never celebrated a one-month anniversary with a girl. No girl has ever stuck around that long, so when Dara told me that we were celebrating, it was kinda a big deal. I love Dara a lot, so it would be an understatement to tell you all that I wanted everything to be perfect.

I was able to catch Ben and Melinda at school the next day, which was Friday.

"One-month anniversary? People actually celebrate that?"
"I guess so. Dara and I are."
"Well, I guess a Mazel Tov is in order."
"Thanks, man."

Ben gave me a congratulatory hug, when Melinda finally spoke.

"It's just one month. It's not like you guys have been together for 10 years. I don't know why you guys are making such a big deal!"

She proceeded to leave. I didn't really understand what had just happened.

"Don't mind her, she's been acting weird for a while."
"I wonder why. Anyway, Dara is cooking for me...and then she's gonna make me some dessert."
"That's nice. Maybe she'll bake you a cake."

Well, maybe Melinda was acting strange, but Ben was acting the same way he always does.

Saturday night came. I arrived at Dara's about five minutes early. I went ahead and got her some flowers on the way over there. Her favorite: Yellow Roses.

"Yellow roses! My favorite!"

I told ya.

"Come on in. I hope you like roast."
"Sounds delicious."

She kissed me.

"Even more delicious."

We sat down in her living room. She was wearing something real sexy, a black dress with a white stripe.

"You look really handsome tonight."

I was waring a black dress shirt with my sleeves rolled up, along with some jeans and some black dress shoes.

"Thanks. Although, I must say, no girl on Earth has ever looked as beautiful as you do tonight."

We began making out on her couch. Our hands were all over the place. She eventually moved her hand to, well let's just call it a very sensitive spot. ;-]

Suddenly, something was burning, and the smoke was in the air.

"Oh no! The roast!"

Dara ran to the kitchen, opened the oven and saw that the roast was indeed burnt, and no good.

"It's ruined. Why did I set the timer for so long, I feel like such a fool."

She was crying, which wasn't fun for me to see. So I did what any gentleman would do.

"Alright, so something unplanned happened. No big deal, we'll just have to go out to eat instead. I know some good places, but maybe you'd be interested in picking."

Just then, her face lit up. It was good to see her smiling again.

"Alright, let's go out. There's gotta be at least one restaurant that isn't busy."

WRONG.

I drove Dara over to the Desert Ridge area of Phoenix, where there are a ton of restaurants...all of which had a 2 hour wait.

"Oh, Mac, now what are we going to do?"

I thought for a minute.

"Let me think for a minute."

I suddenly thought about Westgate City Center in Glendale, near the football stadium. There are a thousand restaurants there, and I can imagine that some wouldn't be busy.

"Here's a wild idea. Let's take a drive down to Glendale!"
"Okay."

We got in my car around 8:00 to drive to Glendale. We got near Westgate City Center around half an hour later.

Now, there's a reason I use the phrase "near", because we didn't quite make it there. If only my tire hadn't blown out on the freeway, causing us a little bit of a delay. We were lucky that I was able to stay calm.

"JESUS CHRIST! STUPID FREAKING TIRE! %&$#!!!!!!"

Okay, maybe I wasn't too calm, but my tire blew out! How was I supposed to react?

"Mac, calm down. Don't you have a spare tire?"

My girl was a genius!

I suddenly calmed down.

"I'm sorry, Dara. That was wrong of me to flip out. I'll just change the tire and we can go to dinner."

I got into my trunk and got the spare tire. I then proceeded to change the tire, but there was just a teeny tiny problem.

"THE SPARE TIRE IS FLAT TOO????????"

I walked around kicking and screaming and getting it all out of my system. Dara looked at me with anger.

"I wanted tonight to be perfect. I wanted everything to be perfect for you, because you are perfect to me. I love you so much and now this night is ruined."

Dara came toward me and put her hand on my face.

"You think you ruined the evening? I was the one that burnt our dinner. If anyone is at fault, I am."
"But then I promised you that I would take you out and that we would still have a great time."
"And it was really sweet of you, Mac."
"I just thought that...wait, what?"
"Wanting to take me out after I burned dinner. I thought that the evening would be ruined by that, but you were so sweet about it. It's one of the reasons that I love you so much."
"And I love you too. That's why I wanted everything to be perfect."

She looked at me again, and kissed me.

"It is perfect, simply because you and I are together right now."

We kissed again, and it felt like a spotlight was shining on us, as if the night was meant for the two of us to perform in front of people.

"You two lovebirds need some help with the car???"

Well, it turns out that it wasn't a spotlight. It was a tow-truck.

"Can you get us a new tire?"
"Sure can. We'll just haul this down to the autoshop. Hop on in."

So we rode with the tow-truck driver to the autoshop. We got a new tire, and a new spare as well. It cost me double what I had planned on paying for dinner, but it was worth it. But we still needed to eat.

"You still get to pick the place, you know."
"I think McDonalds is open 24 hours, isn't it."

So there you have it. Our romantic anniversary dinner was at McDonalds. The food was good, and we were able to have a few laughs.

"Happy Anniversary, Dara." I said as we raised our Orange Drinks.
"Happy Anniversary, Mac."

We ate for a while, and then I looked at my girl. I realized what this evening was really all about.

Th most important part of anniversaries is celebrating with the one you love. It didn't matter what Dara and I did, as long as we were together. Because of that, it was the best anniversary ever.

I can't wait to see what's in store for us on our two-month!!!

Sincerely,
Mac-Attack

No comments: