Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Complicated Situation in the Life of the Mac-Attack

So last Saturday night, the strangest thing happened!

Ben and I had bumped into Elisa Rosewood, this old crush of mine.

Long story short, Elisa told me something that I would stick in my mind forever:

"I've been working at the American Eagle Store which is really close by."

No! The other thing:

"You were always a good guy."

Before we ran into Elisa, Ben and I had been discussing my past with women, particularly the four that I had already hooked up with since the first of the year. As I talked more and more with Elisa, and then later with Ben, I realized how much of a mess I had become. I had lost focus on the one girl that I truly wanted: Dara Karpen.

Melinda told me it was called a revelation. I'd say that was a pretty powerful word, but I wasn't going to argue with the one girl that had always been consistent in my life. Melinda and I had been best friends our whole lives. Our families have been friends for years.

"I think it's a good thing, Michael." Melinda told me encouragingly as we ate lunch on Monday.
"I think so too. I'm confident about it, but it's gonna be so hard to change my ways."

I was right. I mean, I hadn't been a one-woman-only guy in forever. I mean, for months I'd been wondering when I would find someone who would stick around, but it was easier said than done.

"Well, Mac, we're behind you 100% on this," Ben told me. Ben had been the one to reveal that Dara had left her boyfriend. Her boyfriend's name was Ray, and he was a real jerk. I remember when they came to my New Years' Party that year, and his only comment to me was a complaint that there was no valet parking on my street.

"Mac-Attack," I heard a voice say. I looked up and it was Lily Hayes, this girl I hooked up with the week before. She was way hot, and we had a ton of fun over at Cashman Park. Wow, it was...I really gotta stop this! Okay, Mac, focus.

"Lily, the flower in my garden."

I know I need to change my ways, but I'm so damn smooth! It's ridiculous.

"Don't think I've forgotten our night at Cashman. I've been thinking about you, and thinking that we should hook up again."

Then she got in real close and said real quietly:
"I'll even bring a condom this time."

"Oh, really? Why's that?"
"I was hoping you'd swipe your V-Card in my slot."
"Oh," was really all I could say.

Just then, Melinda walked up behind me, and did something that I didn't expect. To tell you the truth, Melinda grabbed my ass and said to Lily: "Sorry, honey, this card has already been swiped."

Well, that was unusual, but at least it got Lily away from me. She was only making it harder for me to change my ways. After Lily walked away, disheartened of course, Ben stood up and said:

"When did you guys fuck?"

Melinda and I started cracking up. Obviously, we hadn't fucked, but the fact is that Ben was so gullable that it was astonishing.

The bell rang and I went to History class with Ben. We continued talking about my new approach.

"So Dara's gonna be at the USY dance this week?"
"It's the Pre-Passover Midbar Dance. Everyone in West Coast USY is gonna be there!"
"Everyone?"
"Well, it's a big dance. The California and Vegas people always come to Phoenix for the dance."
"California people?"
"Of course. Haven't you talked to Gahl lately? I thought the three of us would stay at my house on Friday and Saturday night."

I actually hadn't spoken with Gahl Sinai since MLK weekend, when our last USY event was. Gahl was one of my best friends who lived in Los Angeles.

"You haven't talked to Max or Tara? What about Jake Josephson? Have you been in touch with ANYONE?"
"Actually, Ben, there is one person I have been in touch with."

Ben knew exactly who I was talking about. Rivka Pasternak lived in San Diego, and she was very involved in all things USY. I had last spoken with her around Valentines' Day, when we discussed hooking up again at the next event.

The Pre-Passover Midbar Dance was no exception. Rivka was expecting me to hook up with her...but she wasn't the one I wanted to hook up with.

Just then, History class started, but I wasn't thinking about the history of America. I was thinking about the history of me, Michael Isaac Maccabbi. I was 17 years old, and had kissed about that many girls. I had a reputation for it, viewed positively by most people, but viewed negatively by some. It's not that I'm a jerk, I just really love girls...multiple girls, all at the same time. Every girl is special to me, some more than others. However, most people think I'm just this extremely good-looking player who chases tail and never wants more. A lot of it was the people believing the hype, like my friend Brian Berg for example. And now I had to figure out what the right thing to do would be. I had only started liking Dara recently, but Rivka and I had a history. I guess it is appropriate that all these thoughts were going on during my History class.

The rest of the day went by fast. In fact, the rest of the week went by fast. Before I knew it, it was Thursday and I felt I needed to make a phone call.

858-555-4256

"I was wondering when you'd call. It's been a couple months since we last spoke, baby."

The voice of Rivka Pasternak was comforting. To tell you the truth, I really did like Rivka, and if she hadn't lived a gagillian miles away, I would probably be going out with her. But the whole distance thing was working against us, and we decided not to be an official couple.

"Hi, Rivka," I spoke. "How's the weather in San Diego?"
"Getting much warmer. Would be way hotter if you were here."
"Really, now."
"Do ya wanna know what I'm wearing right now, Mac-Attack?"

If I didn't love her tone of voice so much, I wouldn't have answered "Yes" to her.

"You don't get to find out tonight, Mac. You'll find out on Saturday night, though. I'm looking forward to seeing you."
"Rivka, about that, I have to talk to you."
"I wouldn't have even thought about flying to Phoenix this weekend if you weren't going to be there."
"Rivka--"
"Baby, I have to go. I arrive at Sky Harbor around 10:30 Friday night. B is going to pick me up from the airport, I'm staying in one of the extra rooms at his place. I'll see you on Saturday night. The dance is at TBZ right?"
"Yes, Rivka. I really have to--"
"Then I'll see you then. Love ya, bye."

She hung up. I called her to tell her that I couldn't be with her that night, but she hung up before I could tell you. That's pretty ironic.

Around 5:30 Friday evening, Ben picked me up from my house and we droved to the airport to pick up Gahl, as well as Max Altman. Max was another good friend of our's.

"So don't think I didn't hear about you and Rivka in Beverly Hills, you crazy playa!" Max always had a certain charisma.
"She's coming out here for the dance, Mac-Attack. Excited?"
"Hardly, Gahl. You guys need to help me tomorrow night."
"What's up, Mac?"
"He's trying to change his ways. He had a revelation."
"Is that a medical procedure?"
"What it means, gents, is that I've been thinking about some things and I've realized that I need to change. I like one girl right now, and she's the only one I want."

My two chums from L.A. pondered this for a second, before Gahl finally spoke:

"This is very new."
"I know. And the strange thing is, taking this new approach isn't as easy as I thought it would be."
"You know what, Mac, we're gonna back you up on this one. We will figure out a way for Rivka to not be able to find you."
"Why can't he just tell her that he's got another girl?"
"Because if she doesn't get the opportunity to hook up with him, nobody gets hurt."

Max actually made sense.

"That actually makes sense, Max."
"Thank you, Mac-Attack."

So it was settled. Max, Ben, and Gahl would keep Rivka away from me, and I would get my chance to show Dara how great a guy I am. It was perfect.

Or so it seemed perfect. You see, things at the dance got really complicated.

The problem with all of us staying at Ben's was that we would all be arriving at the dance at the exact same time. We didn't realize the possibility that Rivka would get there before I would.

We walked through the doors of the social hall at Temple Beth Zion, and before I even took two steps, Rivka Pasternak came out of nowhere and jumped into my arms. We were hugging for about three or four minutes before she finally leaned in to kiss me. Luckily, before our lips touched, B broke it up and gave me a big bear hug.

"How are you, Mac-Attack? It's been a while." B spoke. He was a large guy, about my height with twice the weight on him.

"B, you really don't have any idea how good it is to see you. How's Jenny doing?"

Jenny was the really fine girl B was going out with the last time I saw him.

"I actually don't know, Mac. Jenny broke up with me around Saint Patrick's Day. It's been weeks."

We talked for a little bit, and then I saw the person I had really been looking forward to seeing all week.

"Hi, Mac," spoke the beautiful Dara.
"Dara, hi! How are you?"
"Never better, actually."

There was a sort of awkward silence. There we were standing: Ben, Gahl, Max, Rivka, B, Dara and I. I had a choice to make: Dara or Rivka. I had to do it right at that minute.

"Dara, you know Ben and B. These are my friends from California: Gahl and Max."
"Hi." Rivka said politely.

I was leaving one person out. Before I could say Rivka's name, Rivka did the talking for me.

"I'm Rivka Pasternak," she introduced herself as she put her arm around me.

A second went by, though it seemed like a million years.

"It's nice to meet you, Rivka."
"You too, Dara."

Just then, the music started playing. It was a USY dance, so we all naturally started dancing. Once we heard the beats of Rihanna's "Disturbia", Rivka kinda grabbed my hand and led me to the center of the dance floor. We started grinding a little. We continued on into "Dontcha" by the Pussycat Dolls. All the while, I was looking around for Dara.

As I heard the words of "Pokerface" by Lady Gaga, Rivka turned around and put her arms on my shoulders. I thought for sure that she was gonna kiss me when she said:

"Mac, I need to say something to you."
"What's up?"
"I know that you like Dara."
"What are you talking about, Rivka?" I said, suddenly denying it. I don't know why I denied it, maybe I was happy to be with Rivka. Or maybe I had lost focus on my plan.

"Mac, you don't have to lie to me. It's you and me right now. I think you and I have been through enough that you can tell me the truth."

I suddenly stopped denying it.

"This is so complicated, Rivka. I met her in November, she was dating this guy until recently. I honestly hadn't even thought of her after our weekend in Beverly Hills."
"You don't need to explain, Mac. You live here, she lives here. I live in San Diego, therefore she's got the upper hand."
"I'm sorry, Rivka. I wish that there was a way to be with you tonight. My heart just isn't in it right now."
"Don't apologize. Just do me one favor."
"Sure thing."
"Go get her, Mac-Attack."

I looked at my San Diego girl, and couldn't help but smile. I gave her a big kiss, but not a romantic one. It was a kiss of friendship.

"You're the best, kid."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw that Dara was leaving. I couldn't help but run after her. I ran all the way into the parking lot, and I finally caught up with her.

"Dara!" I called after her.

She turned around. "Mac?"

I was a little out of breath. I was sweating, and my face was red.

"Why are you leaving?" was the only thing I could think of saying.
"It's getting late. I didn't feel much like dancing."
"What if you had someone to dance with?"
"What do you mean?"

I caught my breath and looked at her.

"Dara, since the first time I saw you, I've been intoxicated by you. Your beauty, your sense of humor, your smile, everything."
"What are you saying, Mac? What about that Rivka girl? What is she to you?"
"Rivka and I met several months ago. She means a lot to me, but you mean MORE."
"What is she to you?"
"I wouldn't put a label on it, Dara. She's a friend."

There was a pause, and I took her hand.

"Do you remember our conversation during Hannukah, after the gift-exchange?"
"Of course. You had that really funny bracelet."
"And you liked the bracelet."
"It was cute."
"It was for you."

There was another pause. This time, we got real close.

"I was the girl?"
"You ARE the girl."
"I don't know what to say."
"You don't have to say anything. Just let me do all the talking."

I honestly don't know who kissed who that night.

After our first kiss, we kissed again and again. Eventually, she told me: "I really do have to go now, Mac."

"Okay," I told her. I stroked her hair a little bit, and we kissed one more time.

"Goodnight, Mac."
"Goodnight, Dara."

She got in her car and drove off. I watched her car go into the night, until I couldn't see it anymore. I proceeded to go back into the dance.

I didn't actually dance for the rest of the night. However, I did get a chance to sit and talk with a very special friend.

"She's really pretty, Mac."
"She's really great."
"So you like her a lot?"
"You have no idea, Rivka. I've never felt this way before."

She kinda looked at me for a second.

"You know, I'm kinda gonna miss what we had in Beverly Hills."

I looked at her and smiled.

"I think this is sorta better, Rivka."
"How do you mean?"
"Kid, I believe this is the start of a beautiful friendship."

We raised our glasses to that and just sat for a while.

I was able to accomplish two things that night:

1. I could now pursue true romance with the beautiful Dara Karpen.
2. I was able to get some closure on my romance with Rivka Pasternak.

It's funny sometimes how things happen. Things in our lives change, and they change when you least expect it; sometimes for the better, and sometimes for the worst. Well, on that incredible night, my life changed for the better. The life of Michael Isaac Maccabbi had changed for the better.

Sincerely,
Mac-Attack

No comments: