Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Finale in the Life of the Mac-Attack (Part 1)

A man's life is determined by the moments that change it. At least, that's what I always thought. One piece of news can change a man's destiny, even if his fate seems to already be set.

Take my life, for example. Back in January, I was accepted to the University of Florida. Growing up, I always told myself that I was meant to be a Florida Gator. However, sometimes, what one thinks is meant to be really isn't. It was March when I recieved a letter from the International USY Offices with an information packet on Nativ, a program for first-year college students to spend their Freshman Year in Israel. Now, when I recieved this piece of mail, I was single and depressed, getting my only source of happiness from coaching basketball and partaking in late-night phone calls with a Las Vegas beauty queen named Brittany Zieglar. Since I'm the president of my USY Chapter, the Nativ application was free. So, just for the hell of it, I sent it in.

Then came the end of April, when I finally got back together with my girlfriend Melinda. Life was good, life was simple, and college was barely on my mind. Then, on the first of May, I got a postcard from the Nativ people telling me they recieved my application and that I needed to come in for an interview. From what I could tell, the interview went really well.

"Let me just get this straight: your dad is a rabbi and you're the President of your USY Chapter?"
"Yes, sir."
"Well, our decision shouldn't be too hard. We'll let you know."

This brings us now to the Monday of Senior Check-Out. I got home to find out that my father was offered a job at ASU working as a Professor as well as a Rabbi for the Hillel. The Manischewitz was out and we were having a good ole time when I noticed an envelope on the coffee table addressed to me from the International USY Offices.

As my dad, my mom, and my twin brother Darrin continued to celebrate, I was able to open the envelope unnoticed. I read the letter over and over again, until my mom finally noticed that I wasn't part of the celebration anymore.

"What is it, Michael?"
"It's from the Nativ people."
"What does it say?"

I took a deep breath before answering my father's question.

"I got in!"
"That's great, Michael!"
"I'm so proud of you, son! This calls for more Manischewitz!"

It was then that my younger brother JT and his boyfriend Josh walked through the front door.

"Oh, Manischewitz! What are we celebrating?"
"Well, my homosexual friends, we are celebrating two things. Number 1: Dad got the job at ASU, which means he is no longer unemployed. Number 2: Michael was accepted to the USY Nativ program, which is apparently what he wants to do with his first year of college. Now, do either of you gay people have any questions?"
"I have a comment."
"By all means, Josh. What is your comment?"
"My comment is that we should start blasting the Lady Gaga and have a PAR-TAY!"

We all stared at Josh.

"Yeah, Josh, I'm gonna have to say no on that one. But thanks anyway."

Josh looked disappointed. JT took him upstairs to console him.

"Ew."

The next day, I went to Melinda's house to tell her the good news.

"Israel?"
"Yes, ma'am. Two semesters in the homeland of our people! Isn't it great?"
"It's a little farther than Gainseville."
"Yes it is. BUT, it's only for one school year."
"And then after?"

I got real close to her.

"We'll figure it out. All I know is that I love you and that this is something that I have to do. I thought that UF was a big deal, but this is the opportunity of a lifetime."
"I understand, and I love you too."

We kissed.

"You know that a school year is ten months."
"Yes."
"Which means you'll have to go ten months without sex. Can you handle that?"
"I'd go ten years without sex if it meant you were waiting for me on the other side."

We kissed again and then did exactly what we weren't gonna be able to do for ten months.

Two days later, it was Thursday, the day of my high school graduation. I was always told that my high school graduation would be a day that I would remember for the rest of my life, and I was sure that this was true. The first thing I remember about the day of my high school graduation is that my grandma flew in from Malibu. Her graduation gift to me: $100...and a box of condoms.

"Now, if this is anything like my graduation, you'll be feeling very emotional. This is so you and Melinda have a nice, safe way to let those emotions out."
"Uh, thanks."
"I remember the night that me and your grandfather graduated high school. He had to get brand new seats in the back of his car when we were done with it."

I didn't really know what to say to that, except:

"Good talk."

I proceeded to go upstairs and get my cap and gown on. The set was dark blue, and I looked damn good when I put it on. I stared at myself in the mirror for a long while before Darrin came into the room, wearing his own cap and gown.

"What time is it, Darrin?"
"About 5. We gotta get going pretty soon."
"Alright, give me a minute."

I looked at myself in the mirror again.

"Let's go graduate."
"After you."

I led the way downstairs.

We got to Deer Valley High School shortly after. Waiting outside the gymnasium was my best friend Ben.

"Hey, man!"

We hugged.

"Are you ready for this?"
"Ask me later, when it's over."

We both laughed.

"So, Nativ."
"Yes, sir. One year in Israel."
"Another year of Mac and Ben."
"And my weekends are free, Ben, so I can chill with you all the time!"
"Sounds like a great plan, dude."
"So have you talked to Sam?"
"I talked to her last night. I couldn't sleep."
"Did you tell her about your decision to join her out there yet?"
"I'm scared to, Mac."
"Why?"
"Because I've paid for my meal plan, signed up for housing, everything. And then she might say no about us."
"Is she giving you the hint that there's someone else?"
"No, and she always tells me she still loves me. Still, I just don't know."
"Obviously she wants you there, Ben. When do you start classes?"
"Monday. I'm leaving for Israel right after Convention."
"Wow, that's soon."
"Not soon enough, Mac. I wanna be with my girlfriend!"
"Speaking of girlfriends."

Melinda approached us wearing a white cap and gown set (at our school, men wear blue and women wear white).

"My boys, how did we get here?"
"I'll tell you how we got here. Ever since the sixth grade, the three of us have always stuck together. We've all been through a lot together, and no matter what, we've remained close. I couldn't have gotten through these years without the two of you. I love you guys."

We shared a group hug before our principal Mr. Roberts motioned us to go inside the gym. Once we were all seated, he began to speak.

"Well, Class of 2010, can you believe it? Four years, come and gone. This is the night that you have been anticipating since your very first day at Deer Valley High School, am I right?"

We all cheered.

"Now, if you look at the clock, you'll see that it is 6:40. This means that we have twenty minutes before we walk out onto that football field and begin the ceremony. Twenty minutes, and then the rest of your lives. This is your night, ladies and gentlemen. Take it all in, for this is the only time you will ever be graduating high school. With that said, please get into your lines. We will start walking out at 7:00."

We got into our lines, and as promised, we began walking out at 7:00. As long as I live, I'll never forget what it felt like to step onto that football field with the 500 other graduates, feeling more overwhelmed with every step I would take. Soon, we were in our rows and sitting down in our seats. Mr. Roberts made a speech about how awesome he thought we were (the same old shit that any principal would say at a graduation). Then our Student Body President Jack Upchuck and out Senior Class President Kim Gross made speeches about what it meant for them to be so involved in Deer Valley student life. And then came our valedictorian, Elizabeth "Frizzy Lizzy" Wales. I remember her speech the most.

"I remember my first day at Deer Valley High, back in Freshman Year. No one would be friends with me because, well, let's face it, I'm not the most attractive girl out there. But I found a home in the marching band, eventually becoming the drum major for two years. While I'm still not the most attractive girl out there, I have more confidence in myself than I ever did before just by having had such an important leadership opportunity. It made me realize that what people think of you now will mean nothing in ten years. You are who you are, and as the years go on, others will accept you as long as you accept yourself. I found my home while I was here at Deer Valley, and I'm about to find a new home within the band at Notre Dame University. I hope that all of you find homes as well as you go off into the world. Congratulations, Class of 2010!"

I had to give her props for giving such a great speech. I truly admired her for it.

Next it was time for us to have our names called at take our diplomas. The readers went through the list rather quickly, which was good because the Arizona heat was almost unbearable in the dark blue gowns. Before I knew it, my row was called up and I waited patiently for my name to be called.

"Michael Isaac Maccabbi."

I shook the hand of the assistant superintendant who was handing out the diplomas. After, I shook the hand of Mr. Roberts, and I exited the stage.

"Melinda Jolene Moskowitz."

I cheered loudly for my girl as she took the stage and grabbed her diploma. She smiled and winked at me as she shook Mr. Roberts' hand.

A little while later, I saw Ben's row get up and begin walking toward the stage.

"Benjamin Rudolph Sheiner."

I stood up and cheered.

"BEN, YOU MY BOY!"

He tried his best not to laugh as he shook hands with Mr. Roberts. Before long, the readers wer saying the final names.

"Carolyn Faye Wilcox."

I really wanted to boo when I heard the name of my ex-girlfriend-turned-sworn enemy.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the Deer Valley High School Class of 2010!"

Fireworks went off and we tossed our hats as David Cook's "Time of my Life" played on the loudspeaker. There were hordes of people on the field, running around like chickens with their heads cut off. I was looking around, calling the name of the one person I wanted to see the most.

"Melinda! Melinda!"
"Michael!"

I turned around to see that she was on the other side of the field. We ran to each other. Once we got close enough, I lifted her up off the ground and kissed her lips more passionately than I'd ever kissed them before.

"I love you so much!"
"I love you too! Congratulations, baby!"

We continued to kiss. Suddenly, we saw Ben. I hugged him as soon as I saw him and didn't wanna let go of my best friend. After he and I were done hugging, he hugged Melinda. I looked around at all my classmates and then saw one in particular from across the field.

Dara Karpen smiled and nodded, and I did the same. She was the first girl that had ever truly gained my heart, and our quick exhange of glances would be the last time I would ever lay my eyes on her.

When I looked away, she was gone, and I was back in the arms of the woman I loved, the one who I would always love. We kissed once more and then began walking toward the stands so our families could get pictures of us and Ben. We were the three muskateers, and we always would be. All for one and one for all.

After graduation would be Convention, and then after Convention would be the rest of our lives.

Sincerely,
Mac-Attack


No comments: