Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Hannukah Miracle in the Life of the Mac-Attack

Hannukah is one of my favorite holidays, and it always has been. Learning about the oil lasting for eight days and about how Judah Maccabbi led a revolt against the evil Greek king is so exciting...and the latkes! Oh the latkes!!!

To me, Hannukah has always been about Maccabbis and miracles. Well, during the time of Hannukah 2008, three miracles happened, and I was the Maccabbi that made them happen.

Let's flashback to my last entry:

On Thursday, I saw Dara for the first time, at school. Then I saw her again at the USY dance that weekend. She had a boyfriend (just like all the good ones).

Well, it turns out that she joined our chapter at Temple Beth Zion. I officially met her at the first lounge of the month. She's really cool, smart, funny, and beautiful. She has a great smile, her hair flows in the wind, and she...

"MAC!"

What a convenient time for me to hear the voice of Ben.

"What's up, Ben?" I asked him.

"You know what's up, Mac," he said. "The USY Hannukah Gift Exchange is this weekend and you want Dara to get your gift."

I stared blankly. "How did you...who do you...how does that..."

Then I remembered that he and I have been best friends since sixth grade. If anyone can see through me, it's Ben.

"What am I going to do, Ben? I really want her to get my gift."

I showed Ben the gift. It was one of those slogan bracelets that said: All You Need is Dove.

"Isn't that a slogan for some soap?"
"I thought it was a really cool slogan!"

I suddenly realized how lame I am (wait, I didn't say that!)

"Well, Mac, I guess...nothing says I love you like a catchy slogan advertising the best bar of soap money can buy."
"Is it really that bad?"
"Mac, this girl ALREADY has a boyfriend. You're gonna need to step it up. What did you do to get Carrie Wilcox to kiss you?"
"She suggested that we kiss, and I agreed."
"Okay, well...wait, it was her idea??? Wow, I can't believe you turned down that pussy."
"There's people around!!!"

************************************************************************************

Saturday night came, and I still hadn't found a gift that was better than the bracelet. Curse you, Ten Dollar Spending Limit!

My brother Darrin and I got to the Youth Center right on time for the event. I sat over by Ben and Melinda. Suddenly, Dara walked into the room and all the lights seemed to point at her.

"You wanna put your jaw back in place?" I heard Melinda say to me.

I was brought back to reality.

On this night, Dara was even more giddy and cheerful than usual. Her boyfriend probably got her something expensive, like a real bracelet instead of this stupid Dove one!

We started the gift exchange, and it was epic. The format: The gifts continuously get thrown around until our youth director [and Melinda's mom] Maryll blows her whistle. Whatever gift everyone ends up with is the one they keep.

Darrin's gift went to Melinda, Melinda traded it with Aaron for Dara's gift. Dara got Ben's gift and traded it for Melinda's gift, then she traded Melinda's gift for Aaron's gift. I started off with Ben's gift, traded it for Dara's gift, and then suddenly ended up with my own gift again. I traded it with Darrin for Melinda's gift. Suddenly, it happened: Dara traded Aaron's gift for...my gift! I saw That whistle enter Maryll's mouth, but just as she blew the whistle, I saw two things get traded: Ben's gift (which was a glow-in-the-dark pen, by the way) and...the Dove bracelet?! No!

I jumped up and intercepted the Dove bracelet and knocked it down. It was awesome, I felt like a movie hero...until I realized everyone was looking at me like I was some sort of buffoon...more than usual, anyway.

"Uh...the Dove bracelet has become a part of me now and I want to keep it."

Everyone continued to stare.

"Don't judge me!"

But they were judging.

At this point, I figured I should just go with the truth...or at least some version of it.

"It was for someone special. She isn't here tonight, so I'll need to give it to her another time."

My friends continued to stare, and then I saw Melinda. She always could see right through me.

"If it means that much to you, then keep it." When I heard Melinda say this, I realized that she understood how much I wanted Dara to have the lame bracelet.

"I will," I said.

After about ten minutes, I decided to leave. I figured I would go home and stare at the bracelet...or jack off. Whichever came first.

"Melinda," I said. "Can you give Darrin a ride home? I'm gonna leave a little early."

"Yeah, I can do that," she said. Then she got real close and said: "You're a great guy, Michael. Some day she'll see that you are more than just the Mac-Attack."

Of course she would have to bring that into this. Melinda is my only friend who refuses to call me Mac-Attack.

But as I walked out of the youth center, I began to think. Some people have this idea in their heads that I have my life all figured out. They say: He's the Mac-Attack; he doesn't have a care in the world. Gets all the girls he wants, has all the friends he can have, and the life that everybody envies.

I won't lie: for the most part, everything that people think about me is probably true. I do get the girls I want and I do have a lot of friends. But the question of the hour, and the one I've been asking since Rivka Pasternak: As many girls as I have gotten, when am I going to find one that will stick around for a while?

Suddenly, as I was about to get into my car, I saw something walking toward me. It was someone actually. It was Dara.

"I really liked the bracelet. That girl who you got it for must be pretty special."

"Yeah," I said. "She's really great."

"Your girl is real lucky to have someone as sweet as you are. Most guys aren't."

Half-jokingly I said: "I guess I come from a rare breed."

"If only it wasn't such a rare breed," she said, suddenly quietly.

"If only, if only."

I wanted to give her the bracelet. I wanted to so badly, but I couldn't. Dara Karpen had someone already. Someone who probably did care about her.

So, after a moment of silence, I said: Well, I'm gonna go now. But I'll see you at the next event."

"Sounds good. I'll see you then."

On that note, I got into my car and drove home.

************************************************************************************

Earlier I said that there were three miracles:

Dara and I suddenly developed a connection on this night.

I was able to recognize that it wasn't my time to make a move.

I was able to answer my question: The reason that the girls didn't stick around was that, in the past, I hadn't built a bridge before making an attempt to drive to the island. I always got ahead of myself, and on this night, I was able to slow things down.

So perhaps something will come of my brief encounter with Dara.

Until then, I'll just have to play the waiting game.

I just hope I won't have to wait TOO long!

Sincerely,
Mac-Attack

No comments: